I promised a ‘Katachi Aamti’ recipe when I wrote about making Puran Poli. It’s the most resourceful accompaniment and BFF to a Puran Poli. No discarding of water post chana dal is boiled and uses minimal ingredients. How yum?
2-3cups of chana dal water (while making puran)
5-6 curry leaves (coarsely chopped)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp asafetida
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (optional but I love these)
1/4 tsp jaggery
2 green chillies (finely cut)
3 inches of ginger (finely cut)
1 tsp garam masala
1tsp goda masala
1 cup coriander leaves without the thick stems (finely chopped)
2 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a non-stick saucepan or kadhai.
- Add the mustard seeds and cumin. once they start doing their little dance in the saucepan add the ginger, asafetida, curry leaves, turmeric and fenugreek seeds.
- Once fragrant, add in the chana dal water and goda masala. Bring to a boil.
- Add in jaggery, garam masala.
- Turn the heat off and garnish with coriander.