-2 cups dal (toor is preferred but moong is cool too)
-4 cups water
-2 tsp ghee
-1 tsp turmeric
-salt to taste
-6 curry leaves
-1/4 tsp asafetida
-1 tsp goda masala
-1 tsp garam masala
-1/4 tsp mustard seeds
-1/4 tsp cumin
-4-5 dried kokum (you can substitute these gorgeous Goan beauties with 1/4 tsp tamarind pulp or 1 tsp lemon juice)
-1/2 tsp jaggery
-5 green chillies (finely cut)
-2 inch ginger (finely cut or in a paste)
1. Pressure cook daal with water, salt and turmeric. (4 whistles or 25 minutes)
2. In a small heat resistant bowl, on super low flame heat ghee and add mustard seeds and asafetida.
3. Once mustard seeds do their little dance, add in cumin, curry leaves, ginger, green chillies and sauté till fragrant.
4. Once the daal is all mushy and cooked through and through, add goda masala, kokum (or substitutes), and jaggery.
5. Add in the sautéed spices.
6. Serve with rice or dunk chapatis in and do a happy dance.
One thought on “Ambat Goad Varan”