We had some milk that split when heated (I was trying to turn it into dahi). So I turned it into a paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) instead and stuffed into a flatbread ‘paratha’.
A friend asked for a good ‘roti’ recipe so I said, “Let me complicate my life (and her’s).” But it’s only slightly more complicated than ‘rotis’. Here goes:
-2cups whole wheat flour (Use the one from a South Asian grocery store, purely because there’s no self-rising agent mixed in that kind)
-1 cup warm water
-salt to taste
-2 tsp caraway seeds (Ajwain)
– 2 cups paneer
-1/2 tsp cumin powder
-1/2 tsp coriander powder
-2 green chillies (finely chopped)
1. Mix the salt, caraway seeds and flour.
2. Add in the warm water and knead a soft, pliable dough. (KitchenAid is bae).
3. Let the dough rest f0r 20-25 mins.
4. Meanwhile to make the stuffing mix shredded paneer with the coriander-cumin powders and green chillies.
5. Make baby balls from the dough.
6. Use a little flour to roll out the dough into small discs with a rolling pin.
7. Place some stuffing on this disc.
8. Fold it up. Roll it out again.
9. Roast on a heated pan till it’s done on both sides.
10. Remember to only turn it once on to the other side, else the parathas turn tough.
11. Enjoy with dahi/yogurt, achaar and chutney.