After many trials and errors, I have cracked the ghee-code. To begin with, you need unsalted butter. A great quality, economical option is Costco’s Kirkland Signature Unsalted Sweet Cream aka butter.
16 sticks of butter / 8 cups
- Empty butter in a deep pan.
- Heat at medium to high heat.
- Once the butter melts reduce heat to medium
- Boil and boil. No stirring. No fidgeting. Pure patience.
- Once the butter stops making a bubbling sound, and you have to hear it out, 35-40 minutes in, switch the stove off.
- Let it rest for 20 minutes (no longer, else it solidifies.)
- Pour in a dry jar
- Fingerlickin’ tup
Never doing anymore research on which butter makes the best toop or which method (stir vs non stir) to follow. I’m a Kirkland-butter believer.